NOTE:- Unlocking bootloader will wipe your device, Backup your contacts, sms, music, photos etc otherwise you will loose everything. Unlocking Bootloader will void the warranty.
TIP:- Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Moto E so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Battery charge left in your device needs to be a minimum of 80% or else device might get turn off in the middle of rooting.
Unlocking Moto E Bootloader
1. Download mfastboot-v2 extract it in a new folder in your PC.
2. Go to Mororola site. The Motorola site tells you to download the android SDK, You can skip that big download and use the fastboot in step 1
3. Follow the further steps given on motorola’s site, After clicking on Request an Unlock Key, You will get an email which will consist guideline to proceed further.
4. Clicking on Request an Unlock Key is the point where you lose your warranty.
Rooting and Installing TWRP Recovery on Moto E
1. Download the TWRP recovery from here and extract in the same folder as of step 1 of unlocking bootloader
2. Download the SuperSU from here and copy it into the root of your internal memory.
3. Connect your phone to PC via USB and Reboot to bootloader by pressing VolumeDown+Power button for about 6-7 seconds.
4. In PC o to the folder made in step 1, Do Shift+RightClick in empty space in the folder without selecting anything, Select Open a command window here.
5. Run following command Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
6. Press VolumeDown to select recovery on fastboot menu, then press VolumeUp to confirm your choice to boot into recovery.
7. Now touch doesn’t work in recovery straight away, so wait 60 seconds without touching the phone, The phone screen will go blank.
8. Press power button and do swipe to unlock to get.your touch working again
9. Select Install, scroll down and find the SuperSU Zip downloaded in step 2.
10. Swipe to confirm, wait untill the flash is complete and then select reboot.
Now in your app drawer you’ll see SuperSU installed. Congratulations your Moto E is now rooted!